Thursday, July 5, 2012

It Feels Like Home to Me...

I would like to think of myself as a creative spirit.  A laid back, go-with-the-flow, spontaneous, whimsical dreamer who flies by the seat of her pants and is never thrown by the unexpected.



This could not be further from the truth.  I’m logical.  I make lists.  I am systematic and pragmatic, and have no ability whatsoever to “wing it” in life.   Luckily for me, God saw fit to pair me with a man who is most definitely the yin to my yang.  I panic, he yawns.  I stress, he dances.  I stand in the kitchen, rubbing my temples because I have no idea how I will accomplish what needs to be done in the time allotted, and he - sometimes accurately - deduces that what I really need is a little romantic time!  (There are times, I admit, when it’s absolutely no fun to be the “reasonable” one, and I may resent the fact that his nature is so happy-go-lucky, but that’s another blog entirely!).  
It's a wonder I get anything done with these two clowns!

I thrive on routine.  I joke that a perfect day for me would start with leaving my clean house, getting into my clean car, and driving to my clean office… ah, the trifecta.  This has yet to happen.  My life has been decidedly lacking in routine as of late.  Between vacations, retreats, summer camps and weekend trips, we’ve be here and there so much that I’m starting to get used to the half-full suitcases that are strewn about the house.  Throw in several special events and a couple of stomach bugs, and chaos has been the norm around here.

It’s starting to take it’s toll on me…

I don’t know why I need the routine so much.  It may be the fact that I grew up in such a tumultuous home where there were really no such things as bedtimes, dentist appointments, and family nights.  When I was little and I would envision life as an adult, I saw myself, sitting in the living room at night, after enjoying a home-cooked dinner with my family.  My handsome husband would be reading the paper or some novel while I spent time writing (of course, that best seller!), and our child(ren) would be nestled, snug in their beds.  That would be pure happiness..

In the real world I live in, nights like that are not the norm.  We eat on the go, we stay up too late, we fall asleep in front of the TV, folded laundry piles up, and to-do lists that are so diligently created NEVER get completely checked off.   The routine I long for eludes me.

Jay spending time with Abraham
 Lincoln and all his vampires
Not tonight though.  Tonight is perfect.  Well, ignore the messy living room, the fact that the kitchen floor still needs to be swept and mopped, and that there are five loads of camp-soiled laundry that are still begging for my attention!

Tonight is pretty close to perfect.  Maybe I should start rubbing my temples and looking stressed….  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment