Sunday, January 20, 2013

Feel Better Soon(ish)!

Micah has been trying to get sick for over a week now.  This morning when we got up for church, he was coughing and saying he didn’t feel well and probably needed to stay home.  I happened to mention that I had printed off a coupon for Incredible Pizza, and that if he was too sick for church, he would definitely be too sick for that…and guess what?  Hallelujah, he was healed!  (Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration.  What he actually said was, “I think I’m feeling a little better now. *Sniff!”)  

Several hours later, it was apparent that he had not been embellishing his feelings of yuckiness.  By mid-afternoon, he was full-on ill - he felt warm, snotty, and achy (praying it’s not the flu!)  And he was very clingy.

By the time we got home, his temperature was over 101.  So sadly, no Incredible Pizza for us today, coupon or no!

Micah doesn’t get sick very often.  Well, at least that’s been the norm for the last 4 or 5 years.  The first few years were a bit more of a health roller coaster – but two major surgeries, 25 nights in the hospital, plus two sets of tubes in the ears and adenoids removed and voila!  My boy is the picture of health.

It’s rare that he’s sick enough to need to stay home.  And maybe that’s why I feel this way… and this will make me sound like the most terrible mother in the entire world… but when he’s sick… I kind of love it.

Awful, right?

I can’t help it. 

See, normally my little dude is fiercely independent.  He’s been an “I-can-do-it-myself” kiddo as long as I can remember. I mean, sure, he likes to play a board game every now and then, and I always get the “cuddle with me, Mom!” begging at bed time, but for the most part, he has much more important stuff going on in his life than to hang out with me.  (NOTE: Important things include, but are not limited to: Sponge Bob and the Goofy Gooper, various Xbox games, wrestling matches with plastic wrestlers, wrestling matches with his dad, downloading games on his ipod, Diary of a Wimpy Kid).

When Micah is sick though, he only wants me.  When we got home from church, I made him a bubble bath (he’s a shower boy!) and even washed his hair for him (haven’t done that since he was 4!).  Then I wrapped him up in a towel, dried him off, helped him get his pjs on, and got him all settled in bed.  He was sweet and loving and so snuggly – so yeah, I’m gonna get whatever he has!  Luckily we are all off for Martin Luther King Day tomorrow so hopefully, the plague will be on its way by then.

But for a little while longer, I will get to baby my baby.  Love it!

Don't you just want to hug him???

No comments:

Post a Comment