Tuesday, November 13, 2012

You Kids and Your New-Fangled Gadgets!

Last week as I was sitting around the table with my book club ladies, something occurred to me…

We had just finished the discussion of our current book and had announced the next one.  Immediately, some of my fellow book babes started searching for the book on their E-Readers.  I giggled as I held my antiquated paper book in my hands.  I leaned over to my only other actual book user and said, “I guess it’s just you and me!”  To which she replied, “Um… I’m actually going to start using my Nook App on my Ipad.” 

The cheese stands alone.

I wish I could say I’m still reading the old fashioned way because I’ve taken some sort of stand against the electronic alternative – a purist who wants the smell and feel a real book in her hands.  That’s all boloney. 

In reality, I’m just technologically challenged.  And I always have been.

I consider myself pretty “with it” when it comes to most things – as much as anyone who uses the phrase “with it” could be.  I know some fairly modern music.  I keep up with trends (kind of).  I know all the latest beauty products.

When it comes to gadgets and gizmos though, I fall a little behind.  This should not be a new realization to me.  It’s always been true.  The signs have all been there.

  • I used a Brother Word Processor into the late nineties.  Even after I had a computer.
  • Somewhere out there, I still have a MySpace.  Better yet, a Xanga.  I was a late Facebooker and still haven’t really surrendered to Twitter.
  • That annoying “beep beep beep” you heard constantly in 2004?  Yeah, that was my pager.  I didn’t get a cell phone until 2005!  I rocked a Blackberry until 2010, and I still don’t really understand how to use the apps on my HTC.
  • I use a paper and pen day planner.  Wouldn’t trade it for anything!
  • I didn’t convert to a digital camera until about five years ago.
  • One of our five televisions is a plasma.  The rest are tube TV’s and are all over ten years old
  • I nearly bought a netbook a few years ago… I really thought they were the next big thing.
  • I have a TiVo.  It’s in a box in my garage.  If I’m not home when something comes on, I just miss it.
  • Until three years ago, we had convinced Micah that the Sega Genesis was the very best thing a kid could own.
  • A friend gave me a first generation Ipod on my 30th birthday (don’t worry, I’ve at least upgraded to a nano).  Before then I was using a $9.00 Mp3 player and a hot pink Discman. 
  • I have no clue what Google Chrome means.
  • I use Blogger, which is apparently so very 5 years ago (I had no clue!)

So perhaps it’s time I step into the 21st Century. 

Baby steps though.  Baby steps.

So what do you think, readers (if there are any of you still out there since I abandoned you)?  What bit of technology can you not live without?  What should I try?

Kisses!

No comments:

Post a Comment